Applications developer/computer programmer
£27k – 30k (dependent on experience), full time, 12 months fixed term
Interactive Scientific Ltd (iSci) is a small but growing company working at the interface of digital aesthetics, science and interactive technology to build exciting and immersive user experiences. We are currently developing a new product, The Nano Simbox, which is a platform used to enhance science and make the invisible molecular nano-world visible, bringing to life the dynamic world of atoms and molecules. We use interactive technology to unlock the experience of learning and understanding science. We are looking for a developer to join the team who can demonstrate a track record of programming with a portfolio and/or previous work experience who fulfils the criteria set out below.
This role will be based at our office in central Bristol. Flexible working is negotiable.
To support iSci’s technical development of the Nano Simbox by:
- Working with the lead developer and producer to establish the required specification and features of the Nano Simbox platform
- Participating in regular development meetings with the lead software developer, chemists and computer scientists to create efficient code for running the Nano Simbox platform
- Assisting with the porting the Nano Simbox framework to new operating systems and mobile devices
- Working with the academic and scientific team to simulate molecules in the Nano Simbox
- Working with the team to devise intuitive interaction mechanisms and user journeys
- Testing and evaluating the usability of the Nano Simbox against specified user evaluation & performance criteria in collaboration with other team members
- Writing source code comments and documentation to support the Nano Simbox.
- Updating, repairing and modifying existing software using modern version control protocols
- Experience of using different programming languages, and a high level of familiarity with C#
- Experience of developing interactive tools, with different interaction mechanisms and controllers (e.g. touch screen, gesture control, mouse and keyboard)
- Experience of writing networking code
- Experience of developing for different platforms, including iOS and android operating systems
- Experience of end user testing and/or iterative development
- Experience using version control tools (e.g., GIT, Bitbucket, etc.)
- Experience in optimising code performance
- Comfortable with an agile and independent working style
- Ability to accurately and efficiently communicate with the rest of the team
- Interest in science, education and digital design
- Willingness to engage with a diverse team that possesses a broad skill set, and learn new skills
- Background in Chemistry, Physics and/or Maths
- Experience of using UNITY
- Experience with other mobile operating systems (e.g. Windows OS)
- Experience with hardware accelerated algorithms like OpenCL or CUDA
- Experience with distributed computation
If you are interested in this role please send your CV (or link to an online CV) and a covering letter explaining why you would be suited to this role to:
Dr Becky Sage, Operations Director: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please send your application no later than midnight on 20th October 2015.
Interviews to be held w/c 26th October 2015.
If you have any questions about this role please contact Becky on 07799624017.